HypnoBirthing Group Classes
The 12-hour HypnoBirthing® course is taught in approximately five, 2 1/2 hour sessions for moms and their birthing companions. All couples receive the book HypnoBirthing: The Mongan Method by Marie Mongan, accompanying audio, and a comprehensive course pack. Additionally, you will have access to ongoing phone, text, and email support.
Our course offers complete childbirth preparation whether you plan to birth in a hospital, birth center, or at home. HypnoBirthing offers couples the knowledge and skills to approach birth with less fear, make empowered decisions with their health care providers, utilize various ways to cope with labor and the birth process, and remain calm under any circumstance.
Private HypnoBirthing Classes
If you are close to your estimated birth date or cannot take a group class due to scheduling or personal preferences, private classes are available at our Boston HypnoBirthing studio or can be arranged in your own home. All units materials are provided for these sessions. Please contact us to make special arrangements for individual classes with you.
Can't Make a Class?
While it is recommended that you try your best to make all five classes, we understand that schedules can be difficult to accommodate. If you can't make a class, it's easy to get caught up! We have allotted time at the beginning of every class to review the previous session -it helps solidify your learning and fill in any gaps for lessons you may have missed. Your instructor will work with you to give you materials in advance and is available for phone chats or in-person meetings if you need more assistance.
What you will learn in HypnoBirthing
Each class will prepare you to have a safer, easier, and more comfortable birth. You will learn about the unique HypnoBirthing® philosophy; common practices surrounding labor and birth and how to minimize non-medically necessary interventions; techniques for labor and birth; and how the body and mind work harmoniously using natural birthing instincts. Our moms and partners feel prepared, empowered, and excited for birth.
Unit 1 – Building A Positive Expectancy
- Introduction to the HypnoBirthing® philosophy
- The History of Women and Birthing
- How the Uterus Works in Birthing
- What's Wrong with Labor
- How Fear Affects Labor
- The Origin of Fear and Pain in Labor
- The Power and Laws of the Mind
- Psycho-physical Association
- Breathing and Relaxation
- Building Positive Images of Birth/ Viewing Birth Videos
Unit 2 – Falling in Love with Your Baby/Preparing Mind & Body
- Pre-Birth, Perinatal, and Postnatal Bonding
- Selecting Care Providers
- Preparing the Mind for Birth
- Self Hypnosis/ Self-Relaxation and Visualization Techniques
- Breathing Techniques for Labor and Birthing
- Releasing Fear
-The birth companion’s role in birthing
- Preparing Your Body for Birthing
Unit 3 – Advanced Visualization and Deepening Techniques
- Labor and Birthing Visualizations and Deepenings
- Turning Breech Presented Babies
- Looking at the "Estimated Due Date"
- Avoiding Artificial Induction
- Preparing Birth Preference Sheets
- How the Body Prepares for Birth
- Initiating Labor Naturally
- Releasing Fears and Limiting Thoughts
Unit 4 – An Overview and Summary of Childbirth
- Prelabor Tricksters
- The Onset of Labor
- Birth Companions Support Role
- Thinning and Opening Phase
- Labor Slows or Rests
- Misconceptions about Labor
- Birth Companion Advocates for Mother and Baby
- Hallmarks/ Signs as Labor Advances
- Birth Rehearsal Imagery
Unit 5 – Birthing and Bonding
- Mother Nears Completion
- Optimal Positions for Baby in Labor and Birth
- Positions During Labor, Descent and Birthing
- Birthing Phase, Descent, Birth Breathing
- What the Body is Doing During Birth
- Breathing Through Labor and Birth
- The Magical First Hour
- Bonding with Baby
- The Fourth Trimester